Went with Bob to see doc…says all looks good. Kidneys fared well through transplant. Doc will call us with 24 hour urine results, we are expecting to see good results. Bob really just needs to recover his energy. His appetite is better, his kidneys are better, his blood counts are better….just needs to have energy. That will come.

Went with mom to doc…he came into the room and started with, “I spoke with Dr. Matous (does anyone else think its weird that mom’s doctor is talking to Bob’s doctor?), and he says there’s no standard treatment that you haven’t already had. He thinks you should make an appointment with Dr. Maris downtown at the transplant office to discuss some studies that he is involved in. They’ve got some new treatment regimes that are promising. They might just have the next home run for AML.”.
Mom responded with, “I think I’d like to take some time off.”
Doc says, “Okay…well why don’t we draw blood first and see what it says? Then if you want to wait a bit….do you think you are feeling better? Do you think the chemo IS working?”
“I think God is in control” mom was pretty confident, “and a few weeks ago, I was very sick. When my white cells were up around 70,000…I was sick. And now I’m better. Something happened and I’m better.”
The doctor agreed with her. She told him, something was making her better….or she’d be dead.
The doctor agreed again.
The doctor asked if she was better every day, mom said yes! He then asked if we agreed with her. And the miracle — dad said, “She is 100% better”. Wow. Dad spoke life!

So the doc ended with, “How about you get blood drawn and if it’s not worse, we will just schedule a visit for next week. Then we can discuss treatment or a visit with Dr. Maris. And it’s always your call- if you want to quit treatment completely, you can.” Blood results were exactly same as last week. No worse.

So we are praying that by next week they are better. And this walk away from chemo, away from treatment, becomes easier. Because mom is convinced that she is healed. She doesn’t want any more chemo. It would be nice to see the blood results line up with our faith now.

Update Day +36

Since mom has had her “something is different” moment…she has seemed to come alive. She’s eating again, she’s laughing, she’s going outside to sit on the porch…she’s back. We don’t need to see the results of the bone marrow biopsy to know it…she’s going to be okay. Thank you God.

Bob asked to drive to the grocery store last night; he was feeling pretty good so I let him. His driving was no worse than usual….he would argue that it was as good as it always is…but I stand by my description.

Today we saw Dr. M and had our ‘exit interview’ from the transplant. Weird that they call it exit…because we were directed straight from our exit interview to the hospital for 2 units of blood. Dr. M says that red cells are the last to recover so this may go on for a bit more. I was so optimistic today, thought that platelets would be over 50 and H&H would be up…just knew we’d be getting the PIC line pulled and told that he could start living normally again. NOPE, not quite yet. Dr. M also said, “Bob I was really aggressive with the chemo this time, I’m not surprised its taking awhile…but it will get better every week”. So we see him every week through April.

They told us that they are going to draw all cancer labs early May. They will then make the definitive diagnosis as to whether or not the transplant worked. We’re pretty sure it worked.

I think I’m going to start planning our vacation. August…mom and dad’s 50th wedding anniversary, that sounds like a good time to vacation/celebrate.